Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

The Bud on a Bike

We are hanging hanging close to home today. It doesn't quite feel like a holiday since we are not officially starting our Turkey Day festivities until tomorrow.

D and the Bud went outside earlier to burn off some energy and came back in with some videos including much squealing and laughing that just made me smile.



There has been a chill in the air that makes wearing and creating handknits so enjoyable lately.

Many months ago I purchased a sweater's worth Dream in Color Classy (in the same wonderful green as my Farfalle socks) after being inspired by KnittingSchoolDropout's Garter Yoke Sweater. I got started my own version in October basing my design on her photos and brief description.

Happy Forest Sweater with Button

Her pattern will be included in this next issue of Knit. 1 Magazine.
I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. I am hoping that it won't make me want to rip out my entire sweater and start over.
I bounce back and forth and between feeling excitement for a simple and wonderful sweater that will get tons of wear and doubt that this blob of knitted fabric will come even close to my expectations. It is knitting up quickly... when I work on it. Other smaller projects seem to be taking my attention away these days.

Happy Forest Sweater Blob

One thing (of many) that has hindered some sweater progress lately is my attempt to make good on a promise from August. My neighbor bought a spinning wheel this summer, and offered me some of her first handspun if I would make something with it. There is nothing like being at the right place at the right time.

One Row Scarf Close

I love the blend of greens and purples. The thick and thin of the yarn needed a simple pattern with garter stitch to really show it off. I got about 10 inches in on the Yarn Harlot's One Row Scarf pattern - enough to know it was a great fit - before I got tired of the "lather, rinse, repeat" and set it down for some other knitting. Really, I only intended to set it down for just a bit. Honestly.
There is something about knitting scarves - they suck me in at the start, and then the black hole of the middle seems never-ending. (See also example B - I started this one back in June!) I think I am a milestone knitter. I need some progress points along the way, like heels and gussets and whatnot.
Well... the other night I felt some motivation to work through the black hole a little bit and am up to about 40 inches long after a few episodes of Doctor Who.
Half the yarn took me to 34", so I am guessing the entire scarf will end up about 68". I prefer my scarves right in the 60" to 70" range - so that will be perfect.


One Row Scarf WIP

I'm still very much in love with how the striping is turning out even though I have been a bit slow on the finishing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home